Monday, February 25, 2008

Man as Beast?


yesterday didn't start well at all....my mom said that she saw the neighbor beating his 2dogs with a leather belt...the poor things are kept tied up together in a metal cage almost all the time only to be let out for this I suppose.... that leaves me with a question...does such inhuman behaviour give me the right to correct/educate him? Or am I as worse than him because I cringe inside but am scared/don’t walk over and do something about it..it’s almost the same when you are confronted with a wife-beating neighbor I suppose….do you say, “It’s their personal matter” and swallow your guilt or do you try and do something about it and deal with the consequences….

It’s not only this incident which has got me thinking….there has been a spate of news reports about cruelty towards tigers…I saw a video clip of villagers beating a pregnant, senseless tigress mercilessly…isn’t the word humane actually supposed to embody all the qualities something of a ‘higher’ species is supposed to embody- kindness, love, understanding of each other’s differences leading to tolerance?.....

Ok all this venting has to do with issues closer home…literally. My aunts who live downstairs have got a dog. Rather younger aunt rescued her from her previous owners who under fed, ill treated and chained her up all the time. The problem is that older aunt hates pets. She can’t stand anything that is not chained or caged. My parents don’t want a pet. Especially since we lost our own pet to cancer. And that is very painful. So all hell has broken loose. Nobody wants her. And in the middle of all this, I have fallen madly in love with her. She is so docile, is very cuddly and loves to sit in my lap…..I'm super scared and I don’t want her to go….

15 comments:

Unknown said...

Well, you could give it to someone whom you are sure can take care of it.

Santosh said...

personally i never had pets or wanted to have one, bt my landlord here in blr has got one cute lil pup last month, and we just fallen in love with him !

Just that they too chain him for the whole day, it just does not seem rite ! he is so bubbly and active when left alone ! chained life is so not done ! but they dont listen to me !!!

Unknown said...

someone disappeared????

Unknown said...

someone is stiiiiiiiiiiillll not around...

burf said...

i dont generally comment on blogs that do not allow anony comments but i have to tell you that i feel that humans are going to get extinct long before any other species precisely because of they deserve to be

Unknown said...

ggggggggrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!

Unknown said...

Oh boy.. someone seems to be reaaaaaallyyy busy.

Santosh said...

Hey !!! where and why have you disappeared eh ?

Hope alls well... TC !

Cheers !

Unknown said...

Going going gone??

Santosh said...

Dear Gawd ! wonder what kinda WORK is keeping you sooooooo busy :-)

You working for the karnataka election commission ? OR the IPL organizing committe ? OR the have you taken a sabbatical and chilling somewhere in europe :-)

Santosh said...

Man ! work can NEVER keep anyone so busy ! And if it really is.... me thinks you are better off without it :-)

Hope alls well !!!

DK said...

You have abandoned writing. and writing and posting it on a public forum such as this?

Unknown said...

You've disappeared for good huh??? What's become of this world.

Santosh said...

Hey ! You have well and truly disappeared eh ! Your blog is still on my list of fav's :o)

Its just freaky(and scary!!)... hope you are well ! do drop a line at rsantoshrao@gmail.com if dats ok !

Take care !

Santosh said...

stumbles here again.. and just thought i ll drop a line :o) If you remmeber me still that is !

Tc...